Advancement in technology has led to development of many materials with better qualities in order to develop products of greater value. This has led to a search for better materials to satisfy the ever growing demands of product requirement. One of this material is titanium alloys which is widely used in the aerospace and aircraft industry are due to their ability to maintain their high strength at elevated temperature, and high resistance for corrosion. They are also being used increasingly in chemical process, automotive, biomedical and nuclear industry .[1,2]Titanium and its alloy are considered as important engineering materials for industrial applications because of good strength to weight ratio, superior corrosion resistance and high temperature applicability. They also has outstanding resistance to corrosion in most natural and much industrial process environment. When machining titanium alloy with conventional machines, the tool wear rate progress rapidly. Some type of tool material including cemented carbide, ceramics are highly reactive with titanium alloy at high temperature. As these materials are harder and comparatively have higher strength when compare to other materials therefore conventional machining process are not suitable for machining these hard materials and to get complicated profiles is very difficult hence Non-conventional machining process is suitable to machine these materials, one such process is EDM-(Electric discharge machining). Metal removal rate (MRR), Surface roughness (SR) are the two most important parameters which can be measured and varied using EDM process. The surface roughness of the machined surfaces was measured with surface roughness measuring instrument SURFTRONIC 3+. The present paper deals with machining of metal Al-Ti Alloy .In which MRR modelling has been carried out using axi-symmetric model of MMC during EDM machining.A FEA model of single spark EDM was developed to calculate the temperature distribution. Further, single spark model was extended to multi-discharge machining material removal was calculated by calculating the number of pulses and experiments were conducted using CNC Sinking Electrical Discharge Machine (CHMER Thai van Make) validation of model has been done by comparing experimental results with analytical results and good agreement was found out.
Aitha Shravan, Samatham Madhukar, Bootla Akhil, Dr. A. A. Sri Rama Krishna
Electrical Discharge Machine , Titanium Alloy , surface roughness , material removal rate
- Leyens, M. Peters (Eds.), Titanium and Titanium Alloys, WILEY-VCH Verlag, 2003
- Gu, L. Li, W. Zhao and K. P. Rajurkar // International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture 53 (2012) 100.
- Atul Kumar,DR.D.K.Singh, "Performance Analysis of Wire Electric Discharge Machining (W-EDM)", International Journal of Engineering Research & Technology (IJERT), Vol. 1 Issue 4,2-9,2012.
- Yang, X., Liu, C.R., "Machining Titanium and Its Alloys", Machining Science and Technology 3(1), pp. 107-139, 1999.
- Kuriakose, Sh., Shunmugam, M.S., "Characteristics of Wireelectro Discharge Machined Ti6Al4V Surface", Science Direct (Elsevier) 58, pp. 2231- 2237, 2004.
- Gu, L., Li,l., Zhao, W., Rajurkar, K.P., "Electrical Discharge Machining of Ti6Al4Vwith a Bundled Electrode", International Journal of Machine Tools & Manufacture, 53 (1), pp. 100-106, 2012.
- F.Hasson, C.H.Hamilton, Forward, Editors: D. F. Hasson and C. H. Hamilton, "Advanced Processing Methods for Titanium", the Metallurgical Society of AIME, 1982.
- H. Ho, S.T. Newman, S. Rahimifard, R.D. Allen, "State of the art in wire electrical discharge machining (WEDM)", International Journal of Machine Tools & Manufacture, 44, pp. 1247–1259, 2004.
- Rao RV, Pawar PJ., "Modeling and optimization of process parameters of wire EDM", Proc. IME B, Journal of Engineering Manufacturing, 223(11), pp. 1431–1440, 2009.
- Electric discharge machining of Al–SiC metal matrix composites using rotary tube electrodeB. Mohana,, , A. Rajaduraib, G. Satyanarayana Available online 19 June 2004 Volumes 153–154, 10 November 2004, Pages 978–985 Proceedings of the International Conference in Advances in Materials and Processing Technologies.
- Numerical analysis of the electro-discharge machining process for alumina-titanium carbide composite II. unsteady state approach Young-CheolAhn, Young-Seup Chung Korean Journal of Chemical Engineering July 2002, Volume 19, Issue 4, pp 694-702
- A.C Antonio, J.P.Davim, Optimal cutting conditions in turning of particulate metal matrix composites based on experimental and a genetic search model, Composites: Part A 33 (2002) 213-219
- F. Zhang, L.C. Zhang, Y.W. Mai, wear of ceramic particle-reinforced metal matrix composites: Part I. Wear mechanism, journal of material science 30(1995) 1961-1966
- P.Davim, A.M.Baptista, Relationship between cutting force and PCD cutting tool wear in machining silicon carbide reinforced aluminum, Journal of Material Processing Technology 103 (2000) 417-423
- P.DavimDaimond tool performance in machining metal matrix composites, Journal of Material Processing Technology 128 (2002) 100-105
- E.Allison, G.S. Cole, metal matrix composite in the automotive industry: opportunities and challenges, JOM (January 1993) 19-24
- A. Cronjager, D. Meister, Machining of fibre and particle-reinforced aluminium, Ann. CIRP 41 (1) (1992) 63-66
- S. Madhukar, A. Shravan, P. VidyanandSai and Dr. V.V. Satyanarayana, A Critical Review on Cryogenic Machining of Titanium Alloy (Ti-6Al-4V). International Journal ofMechanical Engineering and Technology, 7(5), 2016, pp. 38–45.http://www.iaeme.com/ijmet/issues.asp?JType=IJMET&VType=7&IT
|Published in :
||Volume 3 | Issue 1 | January-February - 2017
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Aitha Shravan, Samatham Madhukar, Bootla Akhil, Dr. A. A. Sri Rama Krishna , "Experimental and Numerical Analysis of Metal Removal Rate and Surface Finish on Al- Ti Alloy", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 3, Issue 1, pp.407-411, January-February-2017.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET1731104.php