This paper presents the integration of photovoltaic (PV), fuel cell (FC) and energy storage systems for reliable power generation. The PV is the primary energy source, fuel cell is the auxiliary power source where as battery and ultra capacitor both are considered for their different power density to supply transient and steady load respectively. In this system FC is used as main power source and power from PV whenever available is harvested completely with storage system compensating for power fluctuations. This topology has high efficiency, modularity and fuel flexibility. The sources in this hybrid system complement each other very well against environmental variations and load variations. Of the many storage systems the use of ultra capacitor gives advantage of absorbing and contributing to power transients quickly and efficiently.To increase the reliability of the system source Fuel cell has been chosen to keep the battery fully charged. The battery sources are connected to DC bus by DC-DC converters. In this work, Fuel cell is chosen to work for a limited period. This will avoid the over sizing of the Fuel cell and limit the operational cost of the system. In this paper, the structure of the hybrid power system is described. The proposed hybrid power system is then verified by numerical simulation.
B. Dhivya, D. Santhosh Kumar
Photovoltaic cells, fuel cells, battery, super capacitor, MPPT, hybrid system, four leg voltage source converter
- J. Torreglosa, P. Garcia, L. Fernandez, and F. Jurado, “Predictive control for the energy management of a FC–battery–SC tramway,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Inform., vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 276–285, Feb. 2014.
- P. Thounthong, S. Rael, and B. Davat, “Energy management of FC/Battery/SC hybrid power source for vehicle application,” J. Power Sources, vol. 190, no. 1, pp. 173–183, May 2009.
- A. S. Weddell, G. V. Merrett, T. J. Kazmierski, and B. M. Al-Hashimi, “Accurate super capacitor modeling for energy harvesting wireless sensor nodes,” IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. II, Exp. Brief, vol. 58, no.12, pp. 911–915, Dec. 2011.
- B. Prabodh, D. Vaishalee, “Hybrid renewable energy systems for power generation in stand-alone applications: A review,” Renewable Sustainable Energy Reviews, vo. 16, no. 5, pp. 2926-2939, 2012.
- P. García, J. P. Torreglosa, L. M. Fernández, and F. Jurado, “Control strategies for high power electric vehicles powered by hydrogen FC, battery and SC,” Expert Syst. Appl., vol. 40, no. 12, pp. 4791-4804, Sep. 2013.
- M. E. Glavin, P. K. W. Chan, S. Armstrong, and W. G. Hurley, ‘‘A standalone photovoltaic supercapacitor battery hybrid energy storage system,’’in Proc. 13th Power Electron. Motion Control Conf., pp. 1688--1695, Sep. 1--3, 2008.
- P. Thounthong, A. Luksanasakul, P. Koseeyaporn, B. Davat, “Intelligent Model-Based Control of a Standalone Photovoltaic/Fuel Cell Power Plant With Supercapacitor Energy Storage,” Sustainable Energy, IEEE Transactions, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 240-249, Jan. 2013.
- X.Guiting, Z. Yan and Z. Dakang, “ Synthetically Control of a Hybrid PV/FC/SC Power System for Standalone Applications,” J. Applied Sciences., vol.5, no. 5, pp.1796-1803, 2013.
- Gilberts M. Masters, ‘‘Renewable and Efficient electric power systems,’’ wiley interscience, 2004.
- A.Safari, and S. Mekhilef, “Incremental conductance MPPT method of PV systems”, 24th Canadian conference on electrical and computer Engineering, May 2011, Canada.
- E. Koutroulis, K. Kalaitzakis, N.C.Voulgaris, "Development of a microcontroller-based, photovoltaic maximum power point tracking control system," Power Electronics, IEEE Transactions on , vol.16, no.1, pp.46,54, Jan 2001.
|Published in :
||Volume 3 | Issue 1 | January-February - 2017
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
B. Dhivya, D. Santhosh Kumar, "Control Strategy of Solar Photovoltaic-Fuel Cell-Super Capacitor-Battery Hybrid System", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 3, Issue 1, pp.488-492 , January-February-2017.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET1731112.php