This work optimizes the copper and iron losses in a 20kVA, 4 Pole, 3- phase, 50Hz squirrel cage inductor motor using genetic algorithm. Losses optimization selects the optimal values of the design variables which gives the least losses. Ten design variables were used in optimization process. The optimization was implemented using MATLAB software. The result shows that using the analytical method (without optimization), the losses was 710 W. But with the use of genetic algorithm to optimize the design, the losses were reduced to 642W. A comparison of these two methods shows a 9.6% decrease in losses with the use of optimization, resulting into an increase in efficiency.
Abdulraheem T., Asaolu G. O., Oladele T. A., Bamiduro H. A., Ezeah J. U.
Genetic Algorithm, Losses, MATLAB, optimization, Squirrel Cage.
- Branko, B. (2010) "New Trends in Efficiency Optimization of Induction Motor Drives, New Trends in Technologies: Devices, Computer, Communication and Industrial Systems" InTech.
- Ankit, C., Sharad S., and Vivek, S. (2013) "Efficiency Optimization of Three Phase Induction Motor by Slip Compensation: A Review" International Journal of Electronics and Electrical Engineering Vol. 1, No. 4,
- Ramdan, R., Ahmed N. A., Ruzlaini G. & Venkataseshaiah C. (2012) "Improving Squirrel Cage Induction Motor Efficiency: Technical Review" International Journal of Physical Sciences. Vol. 7, No.8,
- Ranjith, K. K., Sakthibala D. & Palaniswami .S.( 2010) "Efficiency Optimization of Induction Motor Drive using Soft Computing Techniques" International Journal of Computer Applications, Vol. 3, No.1,
- James, L. K. (2003) "Design Synthesis and Optimization" Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
- Sivaraju, S.S & Devarajan, N. (2016) "GA Based Optimal Design of Three Phase
- Squirrel Cage Induction Motor for Enhancing Performance" International Journal of Advanced Engineering Technology, Vol.2, Issue 4.
- Sujitjorn, S. & Areerak, K. L. (2002) "Loss Minimization in an Induction Motor Driven by a Voltage- Source-Inverter" Asian J. Energy Environ., Vol. 3, Issues 1-2,
- Shivendra, P.V. "Design Optimization of 7.5kW, 4pole, 3-phase, 50Hz Induction Motor Employing Genetic Algorithm/Improved Genetic Algorithm using Sweep Response Analysis" International journal of Electrical & Instrumentation Engineering, Vol.1, No.2, pp109.
- Tyo, M. T., Airoboman, A. E., Amaize P. A. & Idiagi, N. S. (2016) "Losses Optimization of Induction Motor using Genetic Algorithm" international journal of engineering sciences & research technology
- John C. N. (2011) "Design of Wind Turbine Tower and Foundation Systems: , Optimization Approach" Theses and Dissertations, Iowa Research Online, University of Iowa
- Agbachi E. O., Ambafi J. G., Omokhafe J. T. & Ohize H. O.(2012) "Design and Analysis of Three Phase Induction Motor using Computer Program" World J of Engineering and Pure and Applied Sci.
|Published in :
||Volume 3 | Issue 1 | January-February - 2017
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Abdulraheem T., Asaolu G. O., Oladele T. A., Bamiduro H. A., Ezeah J. U., "Optimization of 20kVA, 3-Phase Induction Motor using Genetic Algorithm", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 3, Issue 1, pp.151-154, January-February-2017.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET173129.php