Recently, the interest in offshore wind farms is powerful resource, has been increased significantly because of the stronger and more stable winds at sea, which will lead to a increase power production. DC/DC power conversion solutions are becoming more popular for fulfilling the growing challenges in the offshore wind power industry. This paper presents several multilevel modular DC/DC conversion systems based on the capacitor-clamped module concept for high power offshore wind energy applications. Two types of the capacitor-clamped modules, the double-switch module and switchless module, are discussed. A soft-switching technique is adopted to achieve minimal switching losses and the maximum system efficiency. Theoretical analysis is carried out for the 2n+1 level cascaded configurations based on the capacitor-clamped modules. The inherent interleaving property of the proposed configurations effectively reduces the output voltage ripple without adding extra components. A cascaded hybrid topology is developed by the combination of double-switch and switchless modules. The experimental results of two 5-kW prototype capacitor-clamped converters are presented to validate the theoretical analysis and principles as well as attest the feasibility of the proposed topologies
S. Priyadharshini, K. Devaraj
Capacitor-clamped module, cascaded configuration, double-switch module, offshore wind energy, soft switching technique, and switchless module.
- Wang and M. S. N. Thi, "Stability analysis of four PMSG-based offshore wind farms fed to an SG-based power system through an LCC-HVDC Link," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 60, no. 6, pp. 2392–2400, Jun. 2013.
- P. Engel, N. soltau, H. Stagge, and R. W. De Doncker, "Dynamic and balanced control of three-phase high-power dual-active bridge DC/DC converters in DC-grid applications," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 1880–1889, Dec. 2012.
- Garces and M. Molinas, "A study of efficiency in a reduced matrix converter for offshore wind farms," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 59, no. 1, pp. 184–193, Jan. 2012.
- Parastar and J. K. Seok, "High-power-density power conversion systems for HVDC-connected offshore wind farms," Journal of Power Electronics, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 746–756, Sep. 2013.
- Denniston, A. Massoud, S. Ahmed, and P. Enjeti, "Multiple-module high-gain high-voltage DC–DC transformers for offshore wind energy systems," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 58, no. 5, pp. 1877–1886,May 2011.
- Robinson, D. Jovcic, and G. Joos, "Analysis and design of an offshore wind farm using a MV DC grid," IEEE Trans. Power Del., vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 2164–2173, Oct. 2010.
- Ortiz, J. Biela, and J. W. Kolar, "1 megawatt, 20 kHz, isolated, bidirectional 12 kV to 1.2 kV DC–DC converter for renewable energy applications," in Proc. IEEE ICPE, 2010, pp. 3212–3219.
- Parastar and J. K. Seok, "High-gain resonant switched-capacitor cell-based DC/DC converter for offshore wind energy systems," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., to be published.
- Veilleux, B. T. Ooi, P. W. Lehn, "Marx DC–DC converter for high power application," IET Power Electron., vol. 6, No. 9, pp. 1733–1741, Nov. 2013.
- Veilleux and B. T. Ooi, "Marx-dc-dc converter for connecting offshore wind farms to multiterminal HVDC," in Proc. IEEE PES, 2013, pp. 1–5.
- Chen, A. Q. Huang, C. Li, G. Wang, and W. Gu, "Analysis and comparison of medium voltage high power DC/DC converters for offshore wind energy systems," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 2014–2023, Apr. 2013.
- Keiser, P. K. Steimer, and J. W. Kolar, "High power resonant switched-capacitor step-down converter," in Proc. IEEE PESC, 2008, pp. 2772–2777.
- K. Law, K. W. E. Cheng, and Y. P. B. Yeung, "Design and analysis of switched-capacitor-based step-up resonant converters," IEEE Trans.Circuits Syst. I, Reg. Papers, vol. 52, no. 5, pp. 943–948, May 2005.
- Cao and F. Z. Peng, "Zero-current-switching multilevel modular switched-capacitor DC–DC converter," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., vol. 46, no. 6, pp. 2536–2544, Nov./Dec. 2010.
- H. Khan and L. M. Tolbert, "A multilevel modular capacitor clamped DC-DC converter," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., vol. 43, no. 6, pp.1628-1638, Nov./Dec. 2007.
- W. Qian, J. G. C. Rivera, F. Z. Peng, and D. Cao, "A Multilevel DCDC converter with high voltage gain and reduced component rating and count," in Proc. IEEE APEC, 2011, pp. 1146–1152.
|Published in :
||Volume 3 | Issue 1 | January-February - 2017
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
S. Priyadharshini, K. Devaraj, "High Power Capacitor Clamped Modular Resonant Dc/Dc Converter for Offshore Wind Energy Systems
", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 3, Issue 1, pp.321-326, January-February-2017.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET173173.php