A shock absorber is a mechanical device. It’s like hydraulic (oil) pump like devices It is used to damp shock impulse and use convert kinetic energy into thermal energy. The shock absorber damping effect depends on damping force. The damping force is affected by various parameters such as number of holes, damping diameter and suspension velocity. In this analysis three process parameters damping diameter(A), number of holes(B) and suspension velocity(C) were considered and their effect on damping force of shock absorber was studied. This data is then used in orthogonal array which was selected by taguchi method. Using servo hydraulic testing machine and after conducting experiments damping force was measured. And with the S/N ratio, ANOVA, Regression analysis optimum parameter values can be obtained and confirmation experiments were carried out. The experiment was conducted on Twin tube shock absorber.
Tushar Nemade, Hemant Chaudhari
Damping Force, Twin Tube Shock Absorber, Process Parameters, Taguchi Method.
- Douglas C.Montgomery , Design and Analysis of Experiments pp 393
- Wilson, Hugo "The Directory of Motorcycles". The Encyclopedia of the Motorcycle London: Dorling Kindersley. (1995) 241.
- Keith Wordena, DarylHickey, et.al, “Nonlinear system identification of automotive dampers: A time and frequency-domain analysis", Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 23 (2009) 104–126
- Hashmi Ayas Jameel Ahmed, Rathi M.G., “Analysis of damping force of two wheeler front suspension", International Journal of Engineering Research & Technology (IJERT) ISSN: 2278-0181 Vol. 2 Issue 6 (2013) 428-434.
- J .C.Dixon, Shock Absorber Handbook, john wiley and sons.
- Taguchi G, Konishi S. Taguchi methods, orthogonal arrays and linear graphs, tools for quality American supplier institute. American Supplier Institute; (1987) 8–35.
- A.Jadhav, S.B.Belkar, R.R.Kharde, “Analysis of Displacement Sensitive Twin Tube Shock Absorber" International Journal of Engineering Research and Development, Volume 5, Issue 5 (2012) 31-41.
- Choon-Tae Leea, Byung-Young Moon, “Simulation and experimental validation of vehicle dynamic characteristics for displacement-sensitive shock absorber using fluid-flow modeling" Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 20 (2006) 373–388.
- Yang Ping, Tan Yonghong, et.al, “Measurement, simulation on dynamic characteristics of a wire gauze–fluid damping shock absorber" Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 20 (2006) 745
- Richard A.Johnson C.B.Gupta Probability And Statics for Engineers pp 352.
- W. Schiehlen, B.Hu, “Spectral simulation and shock absorber identification" International Journal of Non-Linear Mechanics 38 (2003) 161–171.
|Published in :
||Volume 3 | Issue 1 | January-February - 2017
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Tushar Nemade, Hemant Chaudhari, "Experimental investigation of damping force of twin tube shock absorber", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 3, Issue 1, pp.338-344, January-February-2017.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET173183.php