This paper presents a simple STATCOM scheme using a cascaded two-level inverter-based multilevel inverter. The proposed topologies have two VSI based two-level inverters are connected in cascade through open-end windings of a three-phase transformer and filter elements. Converter fed dc-link voltages are regulates at different levels to obtain four-level operation. The proposed STATCOM multilevel inverter has operates under MATLAB/SIMULINK environment and the results are verified in balanced and unbalanced conditions. Further, stability behavior of the topology is investigated. The system behaviors are analyzing under various operating conditions using fuzzy logic control
V. Madhavi, K. Nagabhushanam
DC-link voltage balance, multilevel inverter, power quality (PQ), static compensator (STATCOM).
- G. Hingorani and L.Gyugyi, Understanding FACTS. Delhi, India:IEEE, 2001, Standard publishers distributors.
- Singh, R. Saha, A. Chandra, and K. Al-Haddad, "Static synchronouscompensators (STATCOM): A review," IET Power Electron., vol. 2,no. 4, pp. 297–324, 2009.
- Akagi, H. Fujita, S. Yonetani, and Y. Kondo, "A 6.6-kV transformerlessSTATCOM based on a five-level diode-clamped PWMconverter:System design and experimentation of a 200-V 10-kVA laboratorymodel," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 672–680,Mar./Apr. 2008.
- Shukla, A. Ghosh, and A. Joshi, "Hysteresis current control operationof flying capacitor multilevel inverter and its application in shuntcompensation of distribution systems," IEEE Trans. Power Del., vol.22, no. 1, pp. 396–405, Jan. 2007.
- Akagi, S. Inoue, and T. Yoshii, "Control and performance of a transformer lesscascaded PWM STATCOM with star configuration," IEEETrans. Ind. Appl., vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 1041–1049, Jul./Aug. 2007.
- Liu, A. Q. Huang, W. Song, S. Bhattacharya, and G. Tan, "Smallsignalmodel-based control strategy for balancing individual dc capacitorvoltages in cascade multilevel inverter-based STATCOM," IEEETrans. Ind. Electron., vol. 56, no. 6, pp. 2259–2269, Jun. 2009.
- P.MohammadiandM.T.Bina, "Atransformerlessmedium-voltageSTATCOM topology based on extended modular multilevel converters," IEEE Trans. Power Electron. vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 1534–1545,May 2011.
- Kou, K. A. Corzine, and M. W. Wielebski, "Overdistention operationof cascaded multilevel inverters," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., vol. 42,no. 3, pp. 817–824, May/Jun. 2006.
- K. Mohaptra, K. Gopakumar, and V. T. Somasekhar, "A harmonicelimination and suppression scheme for an open-end winding inductionmotor drive," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 50, no. 6, pp. 1187–1198,Dec. 2003.
- Kawabata, N. Yahata,M. Horii, E. Egiogu, and T. Kawabata, "SVGusing open winding transformer and two inverters," in Proc., 35th AnnualIEEE Power Electron. Specialists Conf., 2004, pp. 3039–3044.
- Ponnaluri, J. K. Steinke, P. Steimer, S. Reichert, and B. Buchmann,"Design comparison and control of medium voltage STATCOM withnovel twin converter topology," in Proc., 35th Annu. IEEE Power Electron.Specialists Conf., 2004, pp. 2546–2550.
- N. V. Surendra Babu, D. Apparao, and B. G. Fernandes, "Asymmetricaldc link voltage balance of a cascaded two level inverter basedSTATCOM," in Proc., IEEE TENCON, 2010, pp. 483–488.
- IEEE Criteria for Class IE Electric Systems, IEEE Standard 141-1993.
- Schauder and H. Mehta, "Vector analysis and control of advancedstatic VAr compensators," in Proc. Inst. Elect. Eng. C., Jul. 1993, vol.140, no. 4, pp. 299–305.
- G. Holmes and T. A. Lipo, "IEEE series on power engineering," inPulse Width Modulation for Power Converters: Principles and Practice.Piscataway, NJ, USA: IEEE, 2003.
- Blazic and I. Papic, "Improved D-statcom control for operation withunbalanced currents and voltages," IEEE Trans. Power Del., vol. 21,no. 1, pp. 225–233, Jan. 2006.
- Leon, J.M.Mauricio, J. A. Solsona, and A. Gomez-Exposito, "Softwaresensor-based STATCOM control under unbalanced conditions,"IEEE Trans. Power Del., vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 1623–1632, Jul. 2009.
- Suh, Y. Go, and D. Rho, "A comparative study on control algorithmfor active front-end rectifier of large motor drives under unbalancedinput," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 825–835, May/Jun.2011.
- Ogata, Modern Control Engineering, 4th ed. Delhi, India:Pearson, 2004.
- R. Padiyar and A. M. Kulkarni, "Design of reactive current andvoltage controller of static condenser," Elect. Power Energy Syst., vol.19, no. 6, pp. 397–410, 1997.SI/IEEE, 1997.
|Published in :
||Volume 3 | Issue 1 | January-February - 2017
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
V. Madhavi, K. Nagabhushanam, "Cascaded Two-Level Inverter-Based Multi-Level Inverter for High Power Applications by Using Statcom with Fuzzy Logic Control", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 3, Issue 1, pp.397-406, January-February-2017.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET173194.php