This work designs and implements a standalone graphical user interface (GUI) for calculating wind speed at different heights and for computing annual wind electric energy density of any location. The standalone GUI was implemented using MATLAB and it is divided into two sections. One section calculates the wind speed at a specified height while the other computes the annual wind electric energy density. The GUI requires a specified input after which an output is returned. The test result shows that the developed GUI worked as expected with high degree of accuracy and precision. This was validated using result from manual calculations. Hence, making it suitable for wind energy analysis and eliminates the laborious analytical calculations.
Abdulraheem T., Abam P., Ganiyu H. O., Adebowale G. S., Seidu S. A.
Energy Density, MATLAB, standalone GUI, Wind Speed
- Mathew, S. (2006) “Wind Energy Fundamentals, Resource Analysis and Economics” Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2006 pp2.
- Idris, N. A., Lamin, H. S., Ladan, M. J. & Yusuf, B. H. (2012) “Nigeria’s Wind Energy Potentials: the Path to a Diversified Electricity Generation-Mix” International Journal of Modern Engineering Research, vol.2., No.4.
- Ogbeide, K.O & Okoli, C.O. (2015) “Graphical user Interface(GUI) for HATA Model Path Loss computation” Journal of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp 93.
- Nasiruzzaman, A. B. M. “Using MATLAB to develop standalone graphical user interface (GUI) software packages for educational purposes” Department of Electrical & Electronic Engineering, Rajshahi University of Engineering & Technology, Bangladesh.
- Refaat, Y. A. & Ahmed, A. “Introduction to Graphical User Interface (GUI) MATLAB 6.5” UAE University College Of Engineering Electrical Engineering Department IEEE UAEU Student Branch.
- Building GUIs with MATLAB (1996), Math Works, Inc.
- Qamar, Z. C. “An Investigation on Wind Power Potential of Gharo-Sindh, Pakistan” Pakistan Journal of Meteorology, Vol. 6, Issue 11.
- Kalekirstos, G. G. (2013) “Feasibility Study of Small Scale Standalone Wind Turbine for Urban Area” KTH Industrial Engineering and Management , pp. 7-35
- Kane, M. M. (2005) “Analysis of Wind Data and Wind Energy Potential along the Northern Coast of Senegal” Rev. Energ. Ren. ,Vol. 8. Standford H. M. P.(2010) “ Hill Wind Energy Development” Partnerships for Renewable Development Co. Ltd.
- Francisco, B.R., César, A.C. and Sebastián R. M. (2011). “ Methodologies Used in the Extrapolation of Wind Speed Data at Different Heights and Its Impact in the Wind Energy Resource Assessment in a Region” Wind Farm - Technical Regulations, Potential Estimation and Siting Assessment, pp100.
- Sanusi, Y.K. and Adedokun O “Determination of Energy Production Potential of Wind Resources In Lautech Ogbomosho, Nigeria” Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, vol. 4.
- Agbetuyi, A. F., Akinbulire, T. O., Abdulkareem, A. & Awosope, C.O. (2012).” Wind Energy Potential in Nigeria” International Electrical Engineering Journal, Vol.3, No. 1, pp1
|Published in :
||Volume 3 | Issue 1 | January-February - 2017
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Abdulraheem T., Abam P., Ganiyu H. O., Adebowale G. S., Seidu S. A., "Design and Implementation of a Standalone Graphical User Interface for Wind Speed and Wind Electric Energy Density Computations", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 3, Issue 1, pp.521-525, January-February-2017.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET173196.php