In conventional method of design of raft foundation, base flexibility due to soil mass is ignored. The purpose of this study is, to understand the effect of soil flexibility on the performance of the building frames resting on raft foundation. The Soil Structure Interaction (SSI) study is carried out on symmetrical building space frame of 4bay in both x and y direction, for 10 storey(Model 1),15 storey (Model 2), 20 storey (Model 3) and 25 storey(Model 4) building frame with raft foundation under fixed base and flexible base condition. In this analysis three types of soil i.e. Hard soil, Medium hard soil and Soft Soil are used for soil structure interaction (SSI) study. The analysis carried out using Equivalent Static Method (ESM) in accordance with IS1893-2002. The soil flexibility is incorporated in the analysis by using Winkler approach ( Spring Model). SAP-2000 software. is used to model building frame for fixed base and flexible base. The effect of SSI on various structural parameters like beam moment, column moment and roof displacement are discussed. The comparison is made between fixed base and flexible base conditions.
Dr. S. S. Patil, Dyawarkonda S. S.
Raft foundation, Soil Structure Interaction, Building Response, Equivalent Static Method, , Winkler Method,
- (Winkler (1867) proposed a foundation model consisting of closely spaced independent linear springs. These models are used to consider the flexibility of soil in the analysis of structures.
- George Gazetas, Member, ASCE, “Formulas and charts for impedances of surface and embedded foundations.”
- Sekhar Chandra Dutta, Rana Roy, “A critical review on idealization and modeling for interaction among soil-foundation structure system”, Computers and Structures 80 (2002), pp.1579_1594
- Sekhar Chandra Duttaa,*Koushik Bhattacharyaa, Rana Royb (2 July 2004) Response of low-rise buildings under seismic ground excitation incorporating soil–structure interaction
- B.R. Jayalekshmi, “Earthquake response of multistoried R.C. frames with soil structure interaction effects.”
- Bowles, J.E.(1998).”Foundation Analysis and design”, McGraw Hills, New York.
- IS 1893 (Part I): 2002 Criteria for Earthquake Resistant Design of Structures-General provisions and Buildings, Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi.
- IS 456:2000, Indian standard code of practice for plain and reinforced Concrete, Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi, India, 2000.
|Published in :
||Volume 3 | Issue 2 | March-April - 2017
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Dr. S. S. Patil, Dyawarkonda S. S., "Parametric Study of R C Frames with Raft Foundation Considering Soil Structure Interaction", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 3, Issue 2, pp.322-326, March-April-2017.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET1732100.php