Corrosion is degradation of materialís properties due to interactions with environment. Like other natural hazards such as earthquakes or severe weather disturbances, corrosion can cause dangerous and expensive damage to everything from automobiles, home appliances, and drinking water systems, pipelines, bridges, and public buildings. The current work reviews the phenomenon, impact, forms, consequences and preventive measures of corrosion with special emphasis on corrosion of steel structures. Different techniques like coating, painting, plating and Cathodic Protection are also reviewed in the current work.
Gunda Sowmya, Gajula Rakesh, G. V. S. Karthik
Corrosion, Impressed Current Cathodic Protection (ICCP), coatings, plating, Liquid phase inhibitors (LPIs), Volatile Corrosion Inhibitors (VCIs).
- T., B. Shaw and R. Kelly, “What is corrosion?” Interface-Electrochemical Society, pages 24–26, 2006.
- Mars G. Fontana and M.S. Mitra, “The Eight forms of corrosion and the corrective measures,” 1953.
- V. Asworth, C. Booker, H. Charlton, and J. Fairhurst, “A Short Introduction to Corrosion and Its Control Corrosion of Metals and Its Prevention”, Corrosion & Protection, pages 1–9, 2012.
- M. P. H. Gerhardus H. Koch and and N. G. T. Y. P. V. J. H. P. Brongers, “Corrosion costs and preventive strategies in the United States”, Summ. Shute. Inst., pages 1–12, 2002.
- Api Popoola, OE Olorunniwo and OO Ige, Chapter 12, “Corrosion Resistance through the Application of Anti- Corrosion Coatings”, 2014.
- J. Yahalom, “Corrosion Protection Methods”, Encyclopedia of Materials: Science and Technology, pages 1710–1713, 2001.
- N. Coni, M. L. Gipiela, A. S. C. M. D’Oliveira & P. V. P. Marcondes, Study of the Mechanical Properties of the Hot Dip Galvanized Steel and Galvalume, Journal of the Braz. Soc. of Mech. Sci. & Eng., 2009.
- James B. Bushman, P.E. Bushman & Associates, “Corrosion and Cathodic Protection Theory”.
|Published in :
||Volume 3 | Issue 2 | March-April - 2017
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Gunda Sowmya, Gajula Rakesh, G. V. S. Karthik, "A Review on Corrosion of Steel Structures", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 3, Issue 2, pp.414-418, March-April-2017.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET1732138.php