This paper evaluates the efficiency of Fenton process for the treatment of tannery waste water. Advanced oxidation processes is based on the chemistry of hydroxyl radicals (•OH) production and are used for destroying organic pollutants. Fenton’s reaction is a system based on the generation of very reactive free radicals, especially hydroxyl radicals, which have a stronger oxidation potential. Fenton reagent is the result of reaction between hydrogen peroxide and ferrous iron producing hydroxyl radical. Studies were made to investigate the maximum removal of COD from tannery waste water varying Fe2+, H2O2 dosage and initial pH. The initial characteristics of the wastewater were checked. Experiments were carried out at a laboratory scale at different dosage to find out the optimum dosage of ferrous sulphate and H2O2 and also optimum pH value for maximum COD removal.
Charumol S, Dr. S. Keerthinarayana
Advanced oxidation process, COD, Fenton Reaction, Tannery Waste Water.
- Tirzhá Lins Porto Dantas, Humberto Jorge José and Regina de Fátima Peralta Muniz Moreira “Fenton and Photo-Fenton oxidation of tannery wastewater” - Acta Scientiarum Technology.
- lofrano giusy, celik cem, meric sureyya,“Recent advances in leather tannery wastewater treatment” - Annals of the university of oradea Fascicle of textiles, leatherwork.
- Abdel-Aal, E.A; Farghaly, F.E; Abdel-Wahed, R.T; Shahat, M.F. “Treatment of Industrial Wastewater Using Advanced Oxidation Processes” - International Journal of Scientific Research in Agricultural Sciences, ISSN:2345-6795
- Popiel S, Witkiewicz Z, Chrzanowski M (2008). Sulfur mustard destruction using ozone, UV, hydrogen peroxide and their combination. J. Hazard. Mater., 153: 37–43.
- Shyh-Fang Kang, Chih-Hsaing Liao, Mon-Chun Chen “Pre-oxidation and coagulation of textile wastewater by the Fenton process”, , chemosphere
- Ankita Parmar, “Fenton process: a case study for treatment of industrial waste water”, ijiere, Volume 1, Issue 2, p-ISSN: 2394 – 5494
- Vrushali Parwar, Sagar Gawande, “An overview of the Fenton Process for Industrial Wastewater”, IOSR-JMCE, p-ISSN : 2320–334X
- Megha N. Patel, Mitali Shah, “Feasibility Study of Fenton Method for the Treatment of Dyeing and Printing Mill Wastewater”, ijset, Volume 2 Issue 5, pp : 411-416
|Published in :
||Volume 3 | Issue 2 | March-April - 2017
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Charumol S, Dr. S. Keerthinarayana, "Treatment of Tannery Waste Water using Advanced Oxidation Process", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 3, Issue 2, pp.568-571, March-April-2017.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET1732159.php