This paper presents a five-level cascaded multilevel inverter based Shunt Active Power Filter (SAPF) to compensate reactive power and mitigate the harmonic currents generated by the non-linear loads. The control strategy of SAPF incorporates Synchronous Reference Frame (SRF) theory to extract the harmonic components from distorted line currents which in turn are utilized in the production of required reference compensation currents, Fuzzy logic controller for dc-side voltage regulation of SAPF and multi carrier PWM current controller for the generation of switching pulses for the inverter switches. Extensive simulations are carried out to validate performance of the proposed SAPF system using MATLAB/ SIMULINK for diode bridge rectifier with RL load. To improve the performance of SAPF, a novel control strategy using Fuzzy Logic Controller (FLC) is proposed which eliminates the drawback of using fixed gains in conventional PI controller. From the simulation results the proposed fuzzy controlled Multi Level Inverter based SAPF provides effective and efficient mitigation of harmonics.
Prateek Utkarsha, Shobhna Jain
Cascaded H-Bridge Multilevel Inverter (CHBMLI), Shunt Active Power Filters (SAPFs), synchronous reference frame (SRF) theory, multi carrier PWM, harmonic current compensation.
- H. Akagi, E. H. Watanabe, M. Aredes," Instantaneous Power Theory and Applications to Power Conditioning," IEEE Press on Power Engineering, A John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Publication,2007
- Joseph S. Subjak., JR and John S. Mcquilkin "Harmonics- Causes, Effects,Measurements, and Analysis: An Update" IEEE Trans on Industrial Applications,vol.26, No.6, pp.1034- 1042,Nov/Dec-1990.
- Alexander E. Emanuel, John A. Orr, David Cyganski and Edward M.Gulachenski, "A Survey of Harmonic Voltages and Currents at the Customer’s Bus" IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, vol. 8, No. 1, pp.411-421, Jan- 1993
- Christopher K. Duffey and Ray. P. Stratford "Update of Harmonic Standard IEEE-519: IEEE Recommended Practices and Requirements for Harmonic Control in Electric Power Systems" IEEE Trans on Industrial Applications, vol.25, No.6, pp.1025-1034, Nov/Dec-1989.
- Habrouk MEl, Darwish MK, Mehta P., "Active power filters: a review". IEEE Proceeding Electrical Power Applied vol.14, no.5, pp.403–13, 2000.
- J. N. Chiasson, L. M. Tolbert, K. J. McKenzie, and Zhong Du, "A unified approach to solving the harmonic elimination equations in multilevel converters", IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol.19, No.2, pp.278-490, March 2004.
- O. Lopez, J. Alvarez, J. Doval-Gandoy, F. D. Freijedo, A. Nogueiras, A. Lago, and C. M. Penalver, "Comparison of the FPGA implementation of two multilevel space vector PWM algorithms," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 55, no. 4, pp. 1537–1547, Apr. 2008.
- A.Chen, S. Xie, "Review of the control strategies applied to active power filters", in: Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Electric Utility Deregulation, Restructuring and Power Technologies (DRPT-2004), Hong Kong, pp. 666–670, April, 2004.
- J. Rodriguez, S. Bernet, P. Steimer, and I. Lizama, "A survey on neutral point clamped inverters," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 57, no. 7, pp. 2219–2230, Jul. 2010.
- J. N. Chiasson, L. M. Tolbert, K. J. McKenzie, and Zhong Du,"Control of a multilevel converter using resultant theory", IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology,vol.11, No.3, pp.345-354, May 2003.
- B. Suh, G. Sinha, M. D. Manjrekar, and T. A. Lipo, "Multilevel power conversion- an overview of topologies and modulation strategies", Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Optimization of Electrical and Electronic Equipments, 1998. OPTIM '98., vol.2, pp. AD-11 – AD-24, May 1998
- Nabae, I. Takahashi, and H. Akagi, "A new neutral-point clamped PWM inverter," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., vol. IA-17, no. 5, pp. 518–523, Sep./Oct. 1981.
- Hirofumi Akagi, Edson hirokazu watanabe and Mauricio Aredes "Instantaneius power theory and applications to power conditioning" IEEE-press chapter 3-4,pp.19-107, 2007.
- S.Bhattacharya, D.M. Divan, B. Banerjee, "Synchronous Reference Frame Harmonic Isolator Using Series Active Filter", Proc. 4th EPE, Florence, Vol. 3, pp 030-035, 1991
- Alabbasi RH, Salih SM. " Control of cascade multilevel inverter using fuzzy logic technique". In: 2nd IEEE International symposium on power electronics for distributed generation systems (PEDG); 2010 pp. 96–101.
- Mikkili Suresh, Panda AK.," PI and fuzzy logic controller based 3-phase 4-wire shunt active filter for mitigation of current harmonics with Id–Iq control strategy". J Power Electron (JPE) (KIPE – South Korea) vol.11,no.6, pp.914–21, 2011
|Published in :
||Volume 3 | Issue 2 | March-April - 2017
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Prateek Utkarsha, Shobhna Jain, "Fuzzy Controlled Multilevel Inverter Based Shunt Active Power Filter for Harmonics Reduction", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 3, Issue 2, pp.527-534, March-April-2017.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET1732169.php