To increase the ductility and hardness we mainly focus in our experiment to convert BCC structure into FCC from BCT structure and avoid formation of BCC structure after cooling which is called as formability. Here atoms are in BCC structure when we austempered energy is absorbed by carbon atom and bonds with another matrix and forms FCC structure. While quenching carbon atoms are constrained so they form BCT structure which increases its hardness. Where partitioning plays an important role in creating a smooth surface which is time dependent and temperature also,In partitioning constrained carbon atoms will get some heat due reheating and some part will escape from BCT to FCC so we get what we needed i.e. part hardness and part softness. Since it is so easy and simple to make this process is used in automobile industries to reduce the weight of car bodies for good flexibility and to absorb a good amount of shock loads.
Govind Sai Kumar, Birudala Raga Harshith Reddy, M Bharath Kumar, Pittala Vishal
Commercial Steels, BCC, FCC, BCT, TRIP, AHSS, AC3
- Hultgren A. Isothermal transformation of austenite. ASM Transactions. 1947; 39:915-1005.
- Hillert M, Agren J. On the definitions of paraequilibrium and orthoequilibrium. Scripta Materialia. 2004; 50:697-699.
- Speer JG, Matlock DK, De Cooman BC, Schroth JG. Comments on “On the Definitions of paraequilibrium and orthoequilibrium”. Scripta Materialia. 2005; 52:83-85.
- Lobo JA, Geiger GH. Thermodynamics and solubility of carbon in ferrite and ferritic Fe-Mo alloys. Metallurgical Transactions A. 1976; 7A:1347- 1357.
- Lobo JA, Geiger GH. Thermodynamics of carbon in austenite and Fe-Mo austenite. Metallurgical Transactions A. 1976; 7A:1359-1364.
- Hillert M, Hoglund L, Agren J. Escape of carbon from ferrite plates in austenite. Acta Metallurgica et Materialia. 1993; 41:1951-1957.
- Speer JG, Streicher AM, Matlock DK, Rizzo FC, Krauss G. Quenching and partitioning: a fundamentally new process to create high strength TRIP sheet microstructures. In: Damm EB and Merwin M. Editors. Austenite Formation and Decomposition, Warrendale, PA: TMS/ISS; 2003. p. 505-522.
- Matlock DK, Bräutigam VE, Speer JG. Application of the quenching and partitioning (Q&P) process to a medium-carbon, high-Si microalloyed bar steel. In: Proceedings of THERMEC’ 2003, Uetikon-Zurich, Switzerland: Trans. Tech. Publications, Inc.; 2003. p. 1089-1094.
- Bhadeshia HKDH. Bainite in Steels, London: The Institute of Materials; 2001.
- Bhadeshia HKDH, Edmonds DV. The bainitic transformation in a silicon steel. Metallurgical Transactions A. 1979; 10A:895-907.
- Gallagher MF, Speer JG, Matlock DK, Fonstein NM. Microstructure development in TRIP-sheet steels containing Si, Al, and P. In: Proceedings of the 44th Mechanical Working and Steel Processing Conference, Warrendale, PA: ISS; 2002. p. 153-172.
|Published in :
||Volume 3 | Issue 2 | March-April - 2017
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Govind Sai Kumar, Birudala Raga Harshith Reddy, M Bharath Kumar, Pittala Vishal, "A Critical Review on Quenching and Partitioning on Commercial Steels", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 3, Issue 2, pp.553-556, March-April-2017.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET1732175.php