The main objective of this research was to investigate the effect of soaking time and quenching media on the structure and mechanical properties of aluminium bronze (Cu-10%wt.Al). Sand casting method was adopted in casting the samples. Standard specimens were prepared from the as-cast and heat treated samples for tensile, hardness and impact strength tests as well as microstructural analysis according to standard. The samples were solutionized at temperature of 900oC for 30, 60 and 180mins and quenched in water, brine and SAE 40 respectively. The tensile, hardness and impact strength test were conducted using JPL tensile strength tester (Model: 130812), dynamic hardness tester and impact testing machine (U1820) respectively. The alloy microstructures were studied using an optical metallurgical microscope (Model: L2003A). Microstructural analysis result indicated coarse sparse distribution of ?+ ?2 precipitates in the as-cast specimen and presence of fine pearlite (? + ?2) in a matrix of ? dominance in the heat treated specimens. The presence of coarse intermetallic compounds (?`- phase) was revealed as the soaking time increased. The obtained results indicated that heat treatment significantly improved all the tested mechanical properties except the impact strength. Optimum ultimate tensile strength and hardness values of 710MPa and 513MPa respectively were recorded for the specimen solutionized at 900oC for 30 minutes and quenched in water and brine respectively. Among all the quenching media used, brine gave the best combination of mechanical properties.
C. A. Obi, E. E. Nnuka, K. C. Nnakwo
Soaking Time, Quenching Media, Solutionizing Temperature, Properties
- Sekunowo O. I., Adeosun S. O., Lawal G. I. and Balogun S. A. (2013) Mechanical Characterization of Aluminium Bronze-Iron Granules Composite. International. Journal of Scientific and Technology Research. 2(4):179-185.
- Li Y., Ngai T. L. and Xia W. (1996) Mechanical, Friction and Wear Behaviors of a Novel High-strength Wear-Resisting Aluminum Bronze, Wear. Vol. 197, pp: 130-136.
- William D. N. J. (2010) Metallurgy of Copper Based Alloys, Copper Development Association, Inc., pp. 1-3.
- Wharton J. A., Barik R. C., Kear G., Wood R. J. K., Stokes K. R. and Walsh F. C. (2005) The Corrosion of Nickel-Aluminium Bronze in Seawater, Corrosion Science. 47(12):3336-3367.
- Zhang Werwen, Xia Wei, Wen Li-ping, WU Yuarr biao and Pan Guoru (2003) Mechanical Properties and Tribological Behavior of a Cast Heat Resisting Copper Base Alloy. J.Cent. South Univ. TECHNO. (Journal CSUT). 9(4):235- 239.
- Uyime D., Joseph A. O. and Itopa M. M. (2012) Mechanical Properties and Microstructures of Locally Produced Aluminium-Bronze Alloy. Journal of Minerals and Materials Characterization and Engineering. Page: 1020-1026.
- Jinquan L., Chunyan D., Tao X., Guirong P., Jianhua L. and Ruijun Z. (2010) Effect of Heat Treatment on Microstructure of Cu-Al Alloys under 1GPa. Journal of Materials Science and Engineering, Volume 4, No.5, pp. 58-60.
- Praveen K. N. and Prabhash J. (2013) Effect of heat treatment on tensile and compression strength of nickel aluminium bronze (Cu-10%Al-5%Ni-5%Fe). of Applied Science Research, 5 (1):224-230.
- Prabhash J. and Praveen K. N. (2013) Influence of Heat Treatment on Microstructure and Hardness of Nickel Aluminium Bronze (Cu-10Al-5Ni-5Fe). IOSR Journal of Mechanical and Civil Engineering (IOSR-JMCE). 4(6): 16-21.
- Abdul H. K. and Pravin K. S. (2013) Influence of Heat Treatment on Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of Aluminum Bronze. International Journal of Metallurgical and Materials Science and Engineering (IJMMSE). 3(1): 57-66.
- Kaplan M. and Yildiz A. K.(2003) The Effects of Production Methods on the Microstructures and Mechanical Properties of Aluminum Bronze, Materials Letters, Vol. 57, pp 4402–4411.
- Peter S., Jaromír D. and Michal K. (2014) Influence of Heat Treatment on the Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of Aluminium Bronze. Materials and Technology. 48(4):599–604.
|Published in :
||Volume 3 | Issue 2 | March-April - 2017
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
C. A. Obi, E. E. Nnuka, K. C. Nnakwo, "Effect of Soaking Time and Quenching Media on the Structure and Mechanical Properties of Aluminium Bronze (Cu-10%wt.Al)
", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 3, Issue 2, pp.311-317, March-April-2017.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET173220.php