The majority of abounded paper waste is accumulated from the countries all over the world that cause certain series environmental problems. The effective use of waste paper as a pulp can reduce the disposal problem which is one of the serious environmental health issues. In this paper a parametric experimental study is done to investigate the potential use of paper pulp to make bricks. The bricks are made of nominal mix that use portland cement, quarry dust, paper pulp and GGBS. The GGBS is used as trial mix of 0%, 20%, 30% and 50% respectively to investigate some properties by conducting the different tests on prepared bricks. In using paper pulp to make bricks, it reduces approximately 15% weight of the bricks that reduce the dead weight of the structure to a considerable amount. An experimental investigation has been carried out for the optimization of mix the papercrete bricks depending upon the compressive strength, unit weight and water absorption. This leads to a new design and a reduced building cost.
Vellingiri Anusuya, A. Paul Makesh
Paper Waste, Bricks, Portland Cement, Compressive Strength
- B J Fuller, Afafitis And J L Santamaria. (May 2006) “The Paper Alternative”, ASCE Civil Engineering Vol. 75 No.5 pp. 72-77.
- M.S SUGANYA "Lightweight bricks-made up of waste papers” International Journal of Computer & Organization Trends-Volume 2, Special Issue 2, ISSN-2249-2593, Number-2-April 2012
- AGILAN.V “Energy saving light weight bricks using waste newspaper” quest for advancement in Civil Engineering March 15, 2012
- M.SINDUJA, S.NATHIYA “Innovative brick material using waste paper” International Journal for Research in Applied Science and Engineering Technology Special Issue-1,October 2014,ISSN:2321-9653
- AKINWUMI, OLASUNKANMI “Structural Evaluation of Lightweight Concrete Produced Using Waste Newspaper and Office Paper “ISSN- 2224-5790 (PAPER), ISSN 225-0514 (ONLINE), Civil and environmental Research Volume No 6, No 7-2014.
- Lex Terry, “Papercrete Construction”- Building Environment and Thermal Envelope Council (BETEC) Symposium was held on 13th to 16th October 2006 at the Northen New mexico Community College in EIRito.S
- IS: 3495-1992 (Part 1 to 4), “Methods of Tests for Burnt Clay Bricks”, Bureau of Indian Standards, Third Revision, New Delhi.
- IS: (8112-1989) for Ordinary Portland Cement (OPC- 53 Grade).
- IS: (4031-part 1-1996) fineness of cement.
|Published in :
||Volume 3 | Issue 2 | March-April - 2017
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Vellingiri Anusuya, A. Paul Makesh, "Uniaxial Compression Loading Based Experimental Investigation on Papercrete Bricks", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 3, Issue 2, pp.244-248, March-April-2017.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET173226.php