In this paper a pulse width modulation is used to regulate the current sent to the motor. Unlike SCR method which switch at line frequency, PWM controls produce smoother current at higher switching frequencies, typically between 1 kHz to 20 kHz. This consists of a large reservoir capacitor and a H-bridge arrangement of switching elements e.g. thyristors, MOSFET, solid state relays or transistors. This technique is used to control the power to inertial electrical devices, made practical by modern electronic power switches. The advantage of hardware parallelism, FPGAs exceed the computing power of digital signal processors (DSPs) by breaking the paradigm of sequential execution. FPGA technology offers flexibility and rapid prototyping capabilities in the face of increased time-to-market concerns. It enables to test an idea or concept and verify it in hardware without going through the long fabrication process. The cost of making incremental changes to FPGA designs is negligible. The validity of the proposed controller is confirmed through the simulation results. To implement it in the laboratory various parameters like rotor flux, rotor current and operating points, rotor parameter tuning are to be estimated. The proposed speed control system can be useful for the variable speed drive systems.
Sundaram A, Kibru Mesfin Germamo, Bekalu Lakie Yideg
FPGA Implementation, PWM, SCR, AC Motor Control
- Gopal K. Dubey, "Fundamentals of ElectricDrives", .Narosa Publishing House New Delhi,1989.
- Muhammad H. Rashid, "Power ElectronicsCircuits,Devices,and Applications," Prentice Hall, 3rdedition, 2003.
- Kumara MKSC, Dayananda PRD, Gunatillaka MDPR,Jayawickrama SS, "PC based speed controlling of a dcmotor", A fmal year report University of Moratuwa Illiniaus USA, 2001102.
- J Nicolai and T Castagnet, "A Flexible Micro controller Based Chopper Driving a Permanent Magnet DC Motor", The European Power Electronics Application. 1993.
- J. Chiasson, Nonlinear Differential-Geometric Techniquesfor Control of a Series DC Motor, IEEE Transactionson Control Systems Technology.vol 2, p. 35-42,1994.
- A Khoei Kh.Hadidi, "MicroProcessor Based Closed- Loop Speed Control System for DC Motor Using Power MOSFET", 3rd IEEE international conference on Electronics, Circuits and Systems( 1996) vol.2, pp.1247-1250.
- Peter Spasov, "Microcontroller Technology: The 68HC11" Prentice Hall, 5th edition, 2004. 8In System Programming (ISP) for ATMEL chips, http://www.ikalogic.com/isp.php.
- Pulse width modulator module (PWMM), ATmega8L data sheet.
- ADC devices, ATmega8L data sheet.
- LCD interfacing, the microcontroller and embedded systems by Muhammad Ali Mazidi,Janice GillispieMazidi, Rolin D. Mckinlay.
|Published in :
||Volume 3 | Issue 2 | March-April - 2017
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Sundaram A, Kibru Mesfin Germamo, Bekalu Lakie Yideg, "Pulse Width Modulation Technique Based FPGA Implementation of Ac Motor Speed Control", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 3, Issue 2, pp.249-253, March-April-2017.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET173227.php