In India, traffic conditions are of heterogeneous nature due to variety of vehicles with their different static and dynamic characteristics. It is necessary to convert mixed traffic into homogeneous traffic by using PCU values. Roadway and traffic conditions on urban roads vary considerably across the cities which generally affects the PCU values of different vehicles and the capacity of roadway. This shows the dynamic nature of PCU values. In this paper, an attempt is made to study the effect of static and dynamic PCU values on the capacity analysis of four lane divided urban roads and to study the effect of proportion of two-wheeler on PCU values.
Chanda Chauhan, Siddharth Gupte, Khushbu Bhatt
Traffic Capacity, Passenger Car Unit, Urban Roads, Mixed traffic.
- Chetan R. Patel, G. J. Joshi, “Mixed Traffic Speed–Flow Behavior under Influence of Road Side Friction and Non-Motorized Vehicles: A Comparative Study of Arterial Roads in India,” International Journal of Civil, Environmental, Structural, Construction and Architectural Engineering, Vol:8, No:11, 2014.
- Chetan R. Patel and G. J. Joshi, “Capacity and LOS for urban arterial road in Indian mixed traffic condition”, Procedia-Social and Behavioural Sciences, 2012, pp 527-534.
- Dr. L. R. Kadiyali, “Traffic Engineering and Transport Planning”, 8th Edition, 2013.
- Errampalli Madhu and S. Velmurugan, “Estimation of Roadway Capacity of Eight-lane Divided Urban Expressways under Heterogeneous Traffic Through Microscopic Simulation Models”, International Journal of Science and Technology Education Research Vol. 1(6), November 2011.
- IRC: 106-1990, “Guidelines for Capacity of Urban Roads in Plain Areas”, Indian Roads Congress, New Delhi, 1990.
- Mannilthodi Jabeena, Gaurang Joshi, Shriniwas Arkatkar, Kayitha Ravinder, “Study of Flow Characteristics and Traffic Stream Modelling on Indian Expressway: A Case Study of Mahatma Gandhi Expressway”, Proceedings of the Eastern Asia Society for Transportation Studies, Vol.10, 2015.
- M. Mardani N., S. Chandra and I. Ghosh, “Passenger Car Unit of Vehicles on Undivided Intercity Roads in India”, The 4th International Workshop on Agent-based Mobility, Traffic and Transportation Models, Methodologies and Applications (Science Direct), 2015.
- Mehar, S. Chandra, and S. Velmurugan, “Passenger Car Units at Different Levels of Service for Capacity Analysis of Multilane Interurban Highways in India”, Journal Of Transportation Engineering © ASCE, January 2014.
- S. Chandra and P.K. Sikdar, “Factors affecting PCU in mixed traffic situations on urban roads”, Road Transport Research, Vol.9, No.3,2000, pp40–50.
- Satish Chandra and Upendra Kumar, “Effect of Lane Width on Capacity under Mixed Traffic Conditions in India”, Journal of Transportation Engineering, March 2003.
- V. Suresh & G. Umadevi,“ Empirical Methods of Capacity Estimation of Urban Roads”, Global Journal of Researches in Engineering: J General Engineering, 2014.
|Published in :
||Volume 3 | Issue 2 | March-April - 2017
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Chanda Chauhan, Siddharth Gupte, Khushbu Bhatt, "Effect of Static and Dynamic PCU on Capacity Analysis of Four Lane Divided Urban Road under Mixed Traffic Condition", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 3, Issue 2, pp.125-127, March-April-2017.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET173236.php