This work is regarding the investigation on compressive strength, flexural strength and tensile strength of unconventional concrete using waste material. The material used in this project is palm oil clinker and it has been used to replace conventional coarse aggregate in concrete. The main objective of this research is to support the usage of waste product which helps to reduce the usage of conventional construction materials that are decreasing in terms or quantity and increasing in terms of price. The rate at which extinction of natural resources and pollution is increasing day by day is becoming alarming. The pollution of the environment in causing irreparable damage to the earth and it can be avoided by the usage waste materials which can be easily obtained. Other than that, factors affecting the mechanical properties of concrete are studied throughout the literature review. This has been done in order to combine information gained into this research and provide a better solution for palm oil clinker concrete. The various tests were performed on five different types of concrete mix with different percentage of palm oil clinker as a coarse aggregate replacement. This is to study the characteristic of palm oil clinker in concrete and as well as the changes that it makes in the strength of concrete. From the result obtained, due to its water absorbing characteristic, size and shape, palm oil clinker increase the bonding between aggregate by filling in the voids. Furthermore palm oil clinker enables internal curing which allows concrete strength to be higher. It has reduced the porosity of concrete, which means it has increased the strength of concrete. Lastly, palm oil clinker as coarse aggregate replacement in concrete has a major impact in the future of construction industry by drastically increasing the strength of concrete as well as the eradication of waste.
Dushyantsingh Dhunputh, Ir. Mohd Nasir Hussin
POC As Coarse Aggregates, Mechanical Properties, Concrete Mix, Waste Product.
- Abdullahi. (2012). Effect of aggregate type on Compressive strength of concrete. International Journal of Civil and Structural Engineering, 2(3), 4399. http://doi.org/10.6088/ijcser.00202030008
- Ahmad, M. H., & Mohd, S. (2007). MECHANICAL PROPERTIES OF PALM OIL CLINKER CONCRETE Mechanical Properties Of Palm Oil Clinker Concrete, (December).
- Breu, F., Guggenbichler, S., & Wollmann, J. (2008). Study of Lightweight Concrete Behaviour. Vasa. from http://medcontent.metapress.com/index/A65RM03P4874243N.pdf
- Kanadasan, J., & Razak, H. A. (2014). Mix design for self-compacting palm oil clinker concrete based on particle packing. Materials and Design, 56, 9–19. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2013.10.086
- Kisan, M., Sangathan, S., Nehru, J., & Pitroda, S. G. (2000). IS 456 (2000): Plain and Reinforced Concrete - Code of Practice.
- Manesh, B. S. (2012). Effect of Duration and Temperature of Curing on Compressive Strength of Geopolymer Concrete. Ijeit.Com, 1(5), 152–155. Retrieved from http://ijeit.com/vol 1/Issue 5/IJEIT1412201205_30.pdf
- Mazloom, M., & Ranjbar, a. (2010). Relation Between The Workabbility and Strength of Self-Compacting Concrete.
- Rahmani, K., Shamsai, A., Saghafian, B., & Peroti, S. (2012). Effect of Water and Cement Ratio on Compressive Strength and Abrasion of Microsilica Concrete. Middle-East Journal of Scientific Research, 12(8), 1056–1061. http://doi.org/10.5829/idosi.mejsr.2012.12.8.3333
- Shahreen, E., Wahab, A., Omar, R., Fatimah, S., Osmi, C., Ashikin, N., Abdullah, A. (n.d.). Preliminary study on Mechanical Properties of Concrete added with Fine Palm Oil Clinker.
- Yaqub, M., & Bukhari, I. (2006). Effect of Size of Coarse Aggregate on Compressive Strength of High Strength Concrets. 31st Conference on Our World in Concrete and Structures, 4.
- En, B S Specification (2000). Concrete part1. Performance production and conformity
- M Yaqub and Imran Bukhari, ‘Effect of Size of Coarse Aggregate on Compressive Strength of High Strength Concrets’, 31st Conference on Our World in Concrete and Structures, 2006
- Payam Shafigh and others, ‘Lightweight Concrete Made from Crushed Oil Palm Shell: Tensile Strength and Effect of Initial Curing on Compressive Strength’, Construction and Building Materials, 27.1 (2012), 252–58 <https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2011.07.051>.
- Payam Shafigh, Mohd Zamin Jumaat, and Hilmi Mahmud, ‘Oil Palm Shell as a Lightweight Aggregate for Production High Strength Lightweight Concrete’, Construction and Building Materials, 25.4 (2011), 1848–53 <https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2010.11.075>.
- U. Johnson Alengaram, Baig Abdullah Al Muhit, and Mohd Zamin Bin Jumaat, ‘Utilization of Oil Palm Kernel Shell as Lightweight Aggregate in Concrete - A Review’, Construction and Building Materials, 38 (2013), 161–72 <https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2012.08.026>.
- B S En and Part Specification, ‘Concrete —’, 3 (2005).
- Rasel Ahmmad and others, ‘Effect of Water-Cement Ratios on Oil Palm Shell ( OPS ) Lightweight Concrete for Ecofriendly Construction’, 2014, 36–39.
- M. a. Mannan and C. Ganapathy, ‘Concrete from an Agricultural Waste-Oil Palm Shell (OPS)’, Building and Environment, 39.4 (2004), 441–48 <https://doi.org/10.1016/j.buildenv.2003.10.007>
- M Mazloom and a Ranjbar, ‘Relation Between The Workabbility and Strength Od Self-Compacting Concrete’, 2010.
- Niyazi Ugur Kockal and Turan Ozturan, ‘Strength and Elastic Properties of Structural Lightweight Concretes’, Materials and Design, 32.4 (2011), 2396–2403 <https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2010.12.053>.
|Published in :
||Volume 3 | Issue 2 | March-April - 2017
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Dushyantsingh Dhunputh, Ir. Mohd Nasir Hussin, "Effects of Mechanical Properties on Unconventional Concrete where Coarse Aggregate is replaced by Palm Oil Clinker (POC)", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 3, Issue 2, pp.100-109, March-April-2017.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET173255.php