Rutile is an interesting, varied and important mineral. Rutile is a major ore of titanium, a metal used for high tech alloys because of its light weight, high strength and resistance to corrosion. Rutile is also unwittingly of major importance to the gemstone markets. It also forms its own interesting and beautiful mineral specimens. Contamination of soils, ground water, sediments, surface waters and air with trace metals is one of the major environmental problems. This study focused on the investigation of the capability of the dried biomass of Phaseolus mungo (L.) to remove heavy metal (chromium) from titanium industry effluent. From the results it was confirmed that P.mungo can be effectively used for the treatment of heavy metal polluted industry effluent
Mindi Ramakrishna, Narasimhulu Korrapati
Titanium dioxide rutile, Seeds of Phaseolus mungo; Titanium industry waste; Red soil; Sand and vermi compost
- Lombi E, Zhao FJ, Dunham SJ, Mc Grath SP (2001) Cadmium accumulation in populations of T. caerulescens and T. goesingense. New phytol, 145: 1-20.
- Odjegba VJ, Fasidi IO (2004) Accumulation of trace elements by P. stratiotes. Ecotoxicol, 13: 637-646.
- Seka Y, Ossey BY, Kouame V (2013) Phytoremediation of zinc, cadmium, copper and chrome from industrial waste water by Eichhornia crassipes. International Journal of Conservation Science, 4: 81-86.
- Bartlett R, James B (1979) Behavious of chromium in soil. J Environ Qual, 8: 31-35.
- James BR (1996) The challenge of remediating chromium-contaminated soil. J Environ Sci, 30: 248-251.
- Jackson LJ, Rowan DJ, Cornett RJ, Kalff S (1994) M. Spicatum pumps essential and non essential trace elements from sediments to epiphytes. Candian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 51: 1769-1773.
- Jackson LJ (1998) Paradigms of metal accumulation in roots of aquatic Vascular plants. Science of the total Environment, 219: 223-231.
- Gries C, Garbe D (1989) Biomass and nitrogen phosphorus and heavy metal content of P. australis during the third growing season in a root zone waste water treatment. Archive hydrobiology, 11: 97-105.
- Lehtonen J (1989) Effects of acidification on the metal levels in aquatic macrophytes in Espoo. Annales Botanici Fennici, 26: 39-50.
- Torresdey JLG, Videa JR, Delarosa G, Parsons JG (2004a) Phytoremediation of heavy metals and study of the metal co-ordination by X-ray Absorption Spectroscopy. Co-ordination Chemistry Reviews, 249: 1797-1810.
- Narasimhulu K, Pydi Setty Y (2012) Studies on Biosorption of Chromium Ions from Wastewater Using Biomass of Aspergillus niger Species. J Bioremed Biodeg 3:157. doi:10.4172/2155-6199.1000157.
- Narasimhulu K, Rao PS, Vinod AV (2010) Isolation and Identification of Bacterial Strains and Study of their Resistance to Heavy Metals and Antibiotics. J Microbial Biochem Technol 2:074-076. doi:10.4172/1948-5948.1000027.
- Pandey VW and Salunkhe DK (1978) Biochemical studies on P.mungo.(L). Fermentation of the black gram and rice blend and its influence on the vitro digestibility of the proteins. Journal of Food Biochemistry, 2: 327–347. doi:10.1111/j.1745-4514.1978.tb00626.x.
- Jearmeen SM, Das SSM (2015) Bioaccumulation of Chromium in Phaseolus Mungo (L.) Treated with Titanium Industry Waste. J Bioremed Biodeg 6: 315. doi:10.4172/2155-6199.1000316.
- Torresdey JLG, Videa JRP, Montes M, Delarosa G, Diaz BC (2004b) Bioaccumulation of cadmium, chromium and copper by C. arvensis. Bioresource Technology, 92: 229-235.
- Zaranyika UF, Nadapwadza R (1995) Uptake of Ni, Zn, Fe, Co, Cr, Pb, Cu and Cd by water hyacinth (E. crassipes) in Mukuvisi and Manyame rivers, Zimbabuse. J Environ Sci Hlth, 30: 157-169.
- Yang B, Shu W, Ye Z, Lan C, Wong M (2003) Growth and metal accumulation in vetiver on lead or zinc mine tailings. Chemosphere, 52: 1593-1600.
- Sharma P, Dubey RS (2005) Lead toxicity in plants. Braz J Plant Physiol, 17: 35-52.
- Mishra BP, Tripathi BD (2008) Sewage quality analysis, pollutants removal efficiency of a sewage treatment plant. Journal of Industrial Pollution Control, 16: 239-251.
- Leghouchi EL, Guebet M (2009) Evaluation of chromium contamination in water, Sediment and vegetation caused by the tannery effluent in Algeris. Environ Monit Assess, 153: 111-117.
- Kumar N, Bauddh K, Dwivedi N, Barman SC, Singh DP (2012) Accumulation of metals in selected macrophytes grown in mixture of drain water and tannery effluent and their phytoremediation potential. J Environ Biol, 33: 923-927.
|Published in :
||Volume 3 | Issue 2 | March-April - 2017
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Mindi Ramakrishna, Narasimhulu Korrapati, "Studies on Bioaccumulation of Cr(VI) in Phaseolus mungo with titanium industrial waste", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 3, Issue 2, pp.233-237, March-April-2017.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET173258.php