This paper presents a protection scheme for HVDC converters against DC-side faults with current suppression capability by combining and connecting double thyristor switch scheme across ac output terminals of the HVDC converter.The severity of dc-side faults can be limited by connecting double thyristor switches across the semiconductor devices.By turning them on, the ac current contribution into the dc side is eliminated and the dc-link current will freely decay to zero.This protection scheme provides advantages, such as lower dv/dt stresses and lower voltage rating of thyristor switches in addition to providing full seperation between the converter semiconductor devices and ac grid during dc-side faults.A simulation case study has been carried out to demonstrate the effectiveness of the proposed scheme.
M. Krishnakumari, P. Bharath Kumar, Dr. P. Sujatha
DC-side faults, double thyristor switch, fault current suppression, protection of HVDC converters.
- N. Flourentzou, V. G. Agelidis, and G. D. Demetriades, "VSC-based HVDC power transmission systems: An overview," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 592–602, Mar. 2009.
- P. Lundberg, M. Callavik, M. Bahrman, and P. Sandeberg, "High-voltage DC converters and cable technologies for offshore renewable integration and DC grid expansions," IEEE Power Energy Mag., vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 30–38, Nov. 2012.
- L. Zhang et al., "Interconnection of two very weak ac systems by VSC-HVDC links using power-synchronization control," IEEE Trans. Power Syst., vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 344–355, Feb. 2011.
- J. M. Espi and J. Castello, "Wind turbine generation system with optimized dc-link design and control," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 919–929, Mar. 2013.
- S. Cole and R. Belmans, "Transmission of bulk power," IEEE Ind. Electron. Mag., vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 19–24, Sep. 2009.
- Y. Li, Z. W. Zhang, C. Rehtanz, L. F. Luo, S. Rüberg, and D. C. Yang, "A new voltage source converter-HVDC transmission system based on an inductive filtering method," IET Gen. Transm. Distrib., vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 569–576, May 2011.
- L. Zhang, L. Harnefors, and H. P. Nee, "Modeling and control of VSCHVDC links connected to island systems," IEEE Trans. Power Syst., vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 783–793, May 2011.
- M. Saeedifard and R. Iravani, "Dynamic performance of a modular multilevel back-to-back HVDC system," IEEE Trans. Power Del., vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 2903–2912, Oct. 2010.
- M. A Parker, L. Ran, and S. J. Finney, "Distributed control of a fault tolerant modular multilevel inverter for direct-drive wind turbine grid interfacing," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 60, no. 2, pp. 509–522, Feb. 2013.
- Z. Yuebin, J. Daozhuo, G. Jie, H. Pengfei, and L. Zhiyong, "Control of modular multilevel converter based on stationary frame under unbalanced AC system," in Proc. Conf. ICDMA, 2012, pp. 293–296.
- H. Akagi, "Classification, terminology, application of the modular multilevel cascade converter (MMCC)," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 26, no. 11, pp. 3119–3130, Nov. 2011.
- J. Yang, J. E. Fletcher, and J. O’Reilly, "Short-circuit and ground fault analyses and location in VSC-based dc network cables," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron, vol. 59, no. 10, pp. 3827–3837, Oct. 2012.
- X. Zheng, T. Nengling, Y. Guangliang, and D. Haoyin, "A transient protection scheme for HVDC transmission line," IEEE Trans. Power Del., vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 718–724, Apr. 2012.
- R.Marquardt, "Modular multilevel converter topologies with DC-short circuit current limitation," in Proc. IEEE 8th Int. Conf. Power Electron. ECCE Asia, 2011, pp. 1425–1431.
- C. M. Franck, "HVDC circuit breakers: A review identifying future research needs," IEEE Trans. Power Del., vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 998–1007, Apr. 2011.
- J. Candelaria and J.-D. Park, "VSC-HVDC system protection: A review of current methods," in Proc. Conf. PSCE, 2011, pp. 1–7.
- K. Friedrich, "Modern HVDC PLUS application of VSC in modular multilevel converter topology," in Proc. Int. Ind. Electron. Symp., 2010, pp. 3807–3810.
- G. Ding, G. Tang, Z. He, and M. Ding, "New technologies of voltage source converter (VSC) for HVDC transmission system based on VSC," in Proc. IEEE Power Energy Soc. Gen. Meeting, Jul. 20–24, 2008, pp. 1–8.
- X.Li, Q. Song,W. Liu,H.Rao, S. Xu, and L. Li, "Protection of nonpermanent faults on DC overhead lines in MMC-based HVDC systems," IEEE Trans. Power Del., vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 483–490, Jan. 2013.
- P. Venkataraghavan and B. JayantBaliga, "The capability of MOS-gated thyristors," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 660–666, Jul. 1998.
|Published in :
||Volume 3 | Issue 2 | March-April - 2017
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
M. Krishnakumari, P. Bharath Kumar, Dr. P. Sujatha, "Protection Scheme for HVDC Converters to Limit Fault Current against Dc-Side Faults", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 3, Issue 2, pp.179-190 , March-April-2017.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET173262.php