The purpose of this study was to isolate the antibiotic producing actinomycetes from soil from different parts of Yarada hills and to access their antimicrobial activity against different pathogenic bacteria like Staphylococcus aureus (ATCC 25923), Escherichia coli(ATCC 25922) and Pseudomonas aeruginosa (ATCC 27853). This study also focuses on investigating the distribution of the antibiotic producing actinomycetes according to the texture and cultivation status of soil. Seventy four colonies of actinomycetes were isolated from the soil collected from five different parts of Yarad hills in the standard medium out of which 10 colonies produced antibiotics; all of them belonged to genus Streptomyces. One of the isolated colony largely inhibited the growth of E. coli and Staphylococcus aureus with zone of inhibition more than 20 mm for both. Antibiotic from this colony was produced by submerged fermentation and the minimum inhibitory concentration of the crude antibiotic was determined.
K. Sunanda Kumari, P. Kalyani, K. Chandana Vineela, V. Hemalatha, K. P. J. Hemalatha
Actinomycetes, Antibiotics, Streptomyces, Submerged Fermentation.
- Oskay M, Tamer AU and Azeri C. 2004. Antibacterial activity of some actinomycetes isolated from farming soils of Turkey. African J Biotechnol. 3(9):441-446.
- Kumar N, Singh RK and Mishra SK. 2010. Isolation and screening of soil actinomycetes as sources of antibiotics active against bacteria. International Journal of Microbiology Research. 2:12-16.
- Jeffrey LS. 2008. Isolation, characterization and identification of actinomycetes from agriculture soils at Semongok, Sarawak. African Journal of Biotechnology. 7:3697- 3702.
- Arifuzzaman M, Khatun MR and Rahman H. 2010. Isolation and screening of actinomycetes from sundarbans soil for antibacterial activity. African Journal of Biotechnology. 9:4615-4619.
- Alanis AJ. 2005. Resistance to antibiotics: are we in the postantibiotic era? Archives Med Res. 36:697-705.
- Enright MC. 2003. The evolution of a resistant pathogen--the case of MRSA. Curr Opinion Pharmacol. 3(5): 474-479.
- Agadagba SK. 2014. Isolation of Actinomycetes from Soil. Journal of Microbiology Research. 4(3):136- 140.
- Gebreyohannes G, Moges F, Sahile S and Raja N. 2013. Isolation and Characterization of Potential Antibiotic Producing Actinomycetes from Water and Sediments of Lake Tana, Ethiopia. Asian pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine. 3(6):426- 435.
|Published in :
||Volume 3 | Issue 2 | March-April - 2017
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
K. Sunanda Kumari, P. Kalyani, K. Chandana Vineela, V. Hemalatha, K. P. J. Hemalatha, "Isolation of Antibiotic Producing Actinomycetes from Untapped Soils of Yarada Hills And Assessment of their Antimicrobial Activities", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 3, Issue 2, pp.290-293, March-April-2017.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET173290.php